UV Open Channel
What is it?
The open channel system is easy to operate and works gravitationally. The essence of this is to conduct the flow of water to be treated through an irradiation chamber or contact channel, inside which a series of UV light generating lamp modules is located.
The open channel system is applicable for both clean and sewage water for flow rates greater than 30 m3 / h.
Biolight SA supplies the complete system in 304 / 316L stainless steel to be installed in a channel built in concrete (or fiberglass) by the client (under Biolight specifications).
The open channel system is custom designed and manufactured. It delivers a minimum dose of 35 mJ / cm2, considering that the water has a minimum transmittance of 50% (measured at 254nm), a maximum level of suspended solids of 35 ppm and a coliform load of 10 exp7 NMP / 100 ml.
UV Open Channels are calculated using the UVCalc® Calculation program, developed by Prof. James Bolton of Bolton Photoscience in Canada. This allows these systems to be designed very precisely so that they meet the objective of disinfecting the required water flows, regardless of whether they are clean or not, since this technology incorporates UV transmittance (% TUV: which is the transparency of water under UV light of 254 nm)
– Flow to be treated.
– Required germicidal dose.
– Instantaneous peak flow of the water to be treated.
– Percentage of water transmittance, measured at 254nm.
– Content of suspended solids.
– In sewage, the fecal coliform content of the effluent.
– Final objective of the water to be used.
The complete system consists of: Open channel built in concrete, flow aligner, UV irradiation chamber and discharge weir.
1. The flow of water to be treated enters through the Flow Aligner® located at the inlet. This device regulates the flow of water, in order to eliminate eddies and turbulence and achieve a suitable hydraulic profile for UV treatment.
2. Subsequently, the water will enter the UV irradiation chambers, where the UV lamps are located.
3. Finally, the water flow will be discharged through a weir, the design of which will keep the UV lamps submerged at all times and keep the water level within controlled ranges, in the face of fluctuations in the water flow.
4. The client must implement a roofed structure that covers the channel with walls in the area where the electrical panels and voltage stabilizers are installed.
Flow Aligner®: INAPI, Patent Pending N ° 201200666
- Filtration prior to UV disinfection of sewage.
- Filtration prior to UV disinfection of tributaries / effluents in fish farms and hatcheries.
- Filtration of industrial effluents.
- Filtration prior to UV disinfection of irrigation water in greenhouses, hydroponics and drip irrigation.
- Filtration in processes with water recirculation (packing, fruit selection, etc.).